The mosque is considered one of the oldest in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and it is a unique building built in the early Ottoman period in the 15th century, between 1460 and 1480. It is situated on a rock next to the road between Zvornik and Konjevic Polje.
The mosque, to which can be reached only on foot, through the woods and narrow road, was demolished during the aggression against Bosnia-Herzegovina in 1993, as well as numerous other mosques and Islamic schools in the Drina valley.
In the past, the mosque Kušlat has been a popular place not only for believers. The passers were attracted by legends related to its creation.
The fresh morning air, the soothing silence and a dominant sight of the building is kind of a prize to every visitor who decides to visit this building.
This cultural-historical monument is located at where Jadar river flows into Drinjača river, 15 kilometers south from Zvornik, on a vertical rock. As a significant monument of material culture it testifies about a bygone era when it, with its beauty, power and strength of walls, symbolized power and reputation of its masters.
Travel writer Evlija Čelebija wrote: “It is a round stone town on the bank of Jadar river, on a cliff that rises up to the sky… A man does not dare to look down at the valley, where the river roars like thunder.”
A granary, an armory, five cannons and a commander (dizidar) to 28 crew soldiers existed in Kušlat according to his statements. In the town there were 120 houses with gardens; a path leading to the town is carved in stone, two steps wide, and there are 500 stone steps and stone fence on both sides. Rocks on which the town is built is leaned and pointed like an egg.
Ivo Andrić wrote down: “What Bosnian are you if you have never heard of Kušlat. It is on that part of an old road that leads from Zvornik to central Bosnia, and is famous for the first mosque in Bosnia.”
There are numerous records in history books, and the memories of people who visited it, about the history and uniqueness of the mosque.